The other day I was walking to my Human Rights final talking with my professor when she asked me how the past three months have been.
I wish the answer was as simple as the question.
It’s safe to say that the past 90 days have been the most challenging days of my 20 years of existence. I can also confidently say that I have never learned so much - about myself, about cultures or about God - as I have in these three months. In reality I don’t think I’ll ever be able to understand how much this experience has changed me. Every day my views and customs were challenged, I was a walking and talking representative of the United States, forced to ponder why I did the things I did, or thought the things I thought.
I have experienced both the worst and best days of my life in Argentina. These last three months have literally defined bittersweet for me. While I am excited for the endless possibilities being in an unofficial English speaking country has ahead of me, I am also preparing to miss my Spanish speaking alter-ego. We’ve been thru a lot together, me and Uu-endy.
I cannot count how many conversations about politics, religion, world issues or boys I’ve had with Marta. Conversations which I like to think challenged her thoughts of us US-ers. Also, in a matter of 13 weeks I have done some incredible things. For instance, I’ve seen the grave site of Evita Peron, waded in the Atlantic Ocean, ridden a roller-coaster in Uruguay, sat under waterfalls, gone zip-lining through the rainforest, and stayed up until sunrise eating ice cream… I’ve also made some amazing friends, learned more than any human should know about Che, had my heart broken over the history of Argentina, vomited in the Southern Hemisphere, and in theory picked up some Spanish along the way.
So, my blogging friends, now I find myself preparing to return to you, a changed woman, ready to bore you all to death with my endless stories and change the world along the way.
Watch out.
Tuesday night, November 24, 2009 at 9 o’clock Rosario, Argentina was precisely:
33℃ = 91.4℉
That’s hot.

No comments:
Post a Comment