Yesterday I found myself in a seemingly unending park singing the Star Spangled Banner in Zavalla, Argentina. Just another moment to add to the list of surreal experiences I’ve had on this journey.
Lacey, Morgan, Belén, Gabriel [Belén’s brother] and I went to visit our friend Romina’s home town. Zeballas is about an hour bus ride from Rosario and is a small town of about 5,000 people… Obviously, I loved it. The six of us spent the afternoon in the park sipping mate, eating cookies and finding massive spiders.
Naturally, we wound up comparing the US and Argentina. Today’s topic was patriotism. We explained the Pledge of Allegiance to them, which was one of the weirdest things I’ve done in a while. I haven’t really thought about the POA since I was in grade school. The POA is nothing though compared to the granddaddy of US patriotism: The Star Spangled Banner. Which they insisted that we sing for them. I won’t lie, we stumbled and forgot some major chunks of the song but after a few tries we got in our groove and busted it out like true baseball fans.
Speaking of baseball… Yankees: 2009 World Champions. Holla!
After mate we went back to Romina’s house and spent the evening eating empañadas and looking through photo albums. Including all of her Quince* photos. We spent a couple hours hanging out with her family then caught the bus back to Rosario. Thus, another marathon day in the life of Wendy.
*Cultural note: Here girls either have a traditional Quinceanera party or they go on a trip to Disney World. Also, if you have no idea what I’m talking about you should Google it.

No comments:
Post a Comment