Exactly one week from today I will be standing on beautiful Oregon land. As excited as I am to breathe in that clean, crisp air I still cannot fathom that this is my final week in Rosario. Finals have commenced and so has the reminiscing and goodbyes.
Things I’ll miss…
- Time: In the states we view time as a burden, something that ruins our morning by forcing us out of bed, something that we watch with dread as the seconds slowly pass during the day, or something we wish we had more of as the years go by. Here time has an entirely different context. They simply don’t care. Go out, get dinner, sit and chat for six hours - it’s normal. The waiters don’t bring the bill until you ask them too. There is no sense of panic, no rush, just enjoying the company and relationships of those around you.
- Nights: While I’ll never be a true Rosarino and stay out till 9 AM I do enjoy the freedom of being able to go get ice cream at 3 AM. It’s not only an option, it’s incredibly normal. Heck, 2 year olds are out getting ice cream then. I’ve also grown to love the late night dinners. At first this was excruciating, waiting till 9 or 10 o’clock to eat, but now it’s a very normal part of life for me.
- Sweets: Alfajores, medialunas, dulce de leche, helado… Argentina knows what they’re doing when it comes to pastries and sugar.
- Besos: It’s a well known fact that I’m a bad hugger but besos, I can do those. Every time someone greets another person or says goodbye they give kisses on the cheek. This includes entering and exiting from parties or group events, which means giving everyone a beso. Sometimes it’s tedious and not very time efficient but in the end I really do love it. It’s another example of how this culture is more focused on building relationships than being on time.
- Cafes: Distinción and Zona. I cannot count how much time I’ve spent in these cafes. How many coffees I’ve drank or how many medialunas I’ve eaten. It really hasn’t hit me that they straight up don’t exist in the US.
Things I cannot wait to be reunited with…*
- Birkenstocks
- Flannel
- Driving - a car, a bike, a scooter, anything…
- Mexican food
- Life without humidity, mosquitos and cockroaches
7 days my friends. 7 days.
* It should be noted that these lists reflect things I will miss, or things I already miss. Of course I miss you all back home and cannot wait to see all your beautiful faces again. That goes without saying.

No comments:
Post a Comment