Thursday, was for sure the hardest day I’ve had since landing in Argentina. A full day of classes plus overwhelming homesickness... It was all I could do to not bust out crying in class. Then, when I got home from classes and was about to explode, Marta immediately thrust the phone at me and had me talk to her son and his daughter. That was chaos. After my first spanish phone call, I went to cry in my room because that’s what I do when I cry.
Well, Marta is one smart cookie and she caught me. That is when I was confronted with one of the strangest, greatest experiences of my life: Balling my eyes out with a woman I’ve known for 3 days and then having to explain my feelings in Spanish. She was holding me in her arms and saying "mi amor, mi amor" [her "nickname" for me] over and over again. Then, to ease the pain even more she instantly began feeding me cookies slathered in dulce de leche then rolled in coconut and having me drink mate.* We then also had an awesome conversation about sunscreen. She’s a big advocate for slathering on the SPF too. Score! Now I’m feeling much better, it’s probably the drugs in the mate, but either way I’ll take it.
You know, just some fun facts for all you back home.
Side-note: The spanish version of "Man in the Mirror" just came on the radio at the bakery/cafe I'm at. Awesome.
*Some helpful definitions:
Dulce de leche is similar to a carmel spread and everyone in Argentina is obsessed with it. They put it on everything. Bananas, crackers, cookies, toast, spoons... Also, thanks Mac for including it in my wisdom teeth care package. I got major bonus points when I already knew what it was.
Mate is the national tea of Argentina - that might not be a fact but if it isn’t it should be. They drink it 24/7. It looks like weed but I’ve been told that it’s not. While I’m still not convinced, I down the stuff because it’s tasty.

Pace yourself with the Mate! If it is the same variety I had in Bolivia and Peru, it can help with all kinds of issues! Especially altitude sickness. We will campare notes at the end of your journey! Sounds like Marta is a super mom! --Nancy C.
ReplyDeleteWendy,
ReplyDeleteYour welcome for the intro to the wonders of dulce de leche. It is true, they are obsessed. One time I just had to suck an entire tube of dulce de leche to make my host mom happy. Sorry to hear the homesickness continues to strike. The time spent with your mom will be a time you'll always remember. It's amazing how strangers can become family/support so fast. I promise, every minute is worth it (the tears, the joys, the cultural mistakes, etc. etc).
P.S. Marta was my Spanish name growing up in Spanish Immersion. I hated it, but your Marta seems wonderful
Nancy - Mate appears to cure everything! We all drink it constantly..
ReplyDeleteMac - Last night I had Panqueques con Dulce de Leche. AKA: 2 crepes FILLED with dulce. I don't think I have ever consumed so much sugar in one sitting. I'm almost at the two week mark so I'm hoping to start coming around to the happy side of things soon. Everyday feels like a year...
PS. Marta? How'd you get stuck with that? I rocked Yolanda.
i had to eat pancakes everyday after i taught english in the countryside. yes, that is one month of a huge stack of pancakes and dulce de leche waiting for me. someday i dreaded going home and would grade papers as late as i could in hopes of arriving home to an empty plate.
ReplyDeletemarta. considering i was in 1st grade we got assigned names rather than getting to chose. yep. 8 years of marta. hated it. luckily we got to drop them at highschool.