I think I’m the only person in the world who updates their blog this much.
Yesterday I had one of those surreal, “I’m in Argentina” moments when I caught myself singing along to Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Somehow I found myself in an outdoor cafe decorated with hanging lights, local artwork and retro TVs with Lacey, Aniela and Malen. I felt like I was in a secret world within Italy. Best of all though there was a live concert as well.
While we wished we could’ve stayed there the rest of our lives Lacey, Morgan and I had to get back to my place for.. Empanada Night! Marta is a pretty competitive host-mom and she always gets sad that I never bring friends to our house so she made dinner to celebrate the end of Midterms. It was adorable. She got all dolled up - yep, makeup included - and set the cutest dinner table for us. Then we feasted.
This woman made 40 empanadas. Ten for each person. I lost count after 6 but I’d say I slammed a solid 10+. Of course we also needed dessert so she ordered a kilo and a half of our favorite ice creams: Frutilla strawberry, Banana Split, Oreo, Chocolate Almond, Chocolate Rochera and Coconut. I know we don’t use the metric system in the states but rest assured it was A LOT. We ate it all too.
Somewhere between all our eating we also had some hilarious conversations. It was fun getting to share her with Morgan and Lacey. It was also cute when only I could understand what she was saying - not because I’m good at Spanish but because we understand each other. By the end of the night the four of us had made a pact: Hermanas de Sangre Blood Sisters. Marta said it was like the Mafia and she’s the “Godmother.” I’m hoping the Argentine Mafia is nicer than the Italian one.
And now for my Spanish revelation of the week: I don’t have to translate Spanish to English nearly as much anymore. In fact it’s when I consciously try to that I get into trouble. The trouble is responding. I still have to formulate a sentence or question in English and then translate it. But at least I’m getting closer to victory?

No comments:
Post a Comment