I swear everyday feels like a year here. Every night I reflect on what I did and it always amazes me how much I can do and experience in one day. It’s a drastic change from my relaxing, tranquil Monmouth life.
First, a fun little apartment update for you. Thursday night just before dinner I was reading in my room when I overheard Marta frantically calling her son on the phone, “Tengo un problema de la casa.” Literally, “I have a problem of the house.” For the past week or so we’ve had a water problem. It started as a slight drip, then progressed to a drizzle, then she got a bucket out... Then, full on, non-stop steady stream of water in the kitchen sink.
While I was freaking out about the money aspect, Marta was terrified we were going to single-handedly drain the water tank which supplies the entire building. Luckily though on Friday morning, Juan, the door-man-porter-guy was able to come and fix it so rest of the building, and I, could take showers. Go Juan.
Once I was nice and sparkling clean it was time to go to the elementary school and serve up some hot lunches - on a hot, humid Rosario sauna day. It kind of defeated the purpose of the shower... Also, someday I’ll give you all a better explanation of what we do there, but not today.
After volunteering I didn’t want to go home so I ventured out on my own to do some shopping. At one point I went into a bookstore. Out of nowhere a waiter about my height, bald and probably 30 years old showed up. I was a little confused as to how he was going to help me find books but then again everything baffles me here. I quickly ditched him though and went on my way. However, when I was leaving he was waiting at the door. Long story short, about 10 minutes later I had convinced him that I don’t have a cell phone but rather a house phone, which I don’t know the number of. I’d also received his digits and may have implied that I’d actually use them. Sorry, Estanis Lao but it ain’t happenin’.
Later that night I met up with Lacey and our friend Belen - who’s probably reading this. Hola Belen! We intended to watch a movie but got distracted by talking and by the weather. At some point in the day it switched from overwhelming sunshine to blinding lightning, thunder and tropical rain storms. November in Rosario is going to be interesting.
Once we had sufficiently discussed the weather we went to dinner with our other friends Aniela and Malen. We ended up being at Oh Carols for about 5 hours that night talking about everything under the sun, in every language under the sun. Music, movies, boys, Quinces... In Spanish, English, Japanese and Arabic. Kind of. Also, they played the some awesome music there. Spice Girls, Oasis, Guns ‘n Roses and.. Coldplay. It’s safe to say I got excited.
At one point we agreed to switch and let them practice their English with us, which turned out to be incredibly challenging. For the first time in my life I actually felt more comfortable speaking Spanish than English. It was also fun for them to realize what we go through everyday and how exhausting it is. Ah, life abroad.
In the educational world: It’s worth noting that I officially survived Midterm Exam week. Holla. Also, not that any of you really care but I have unofficially decided to double major in Social Science and Spanish. Double holla.

No comments:
Post a Comment