I don’t say this very often so prepare yourselves... I’m proud to be a citizen of the United States of America. I would say “American” but I figure it’s better to be specific, and politically correct.
Argentines love to talk about politics. Seriously, it’s a sure-fire way to get Marta chatting when I don’t know what else to talk about. This past week my Human Rights class has been going over Argentine history since Peron’s first presidency. The dictatorships, the disappearances, the corruption and the controversy. It’s riveting.
I wish so badly this was a Disney movie and I could end it with a blissful happily ever after but truth be told I don’t know how much things have changed. Sure, people don’t mysteriously “disappear” and I don’t have to fear for my safety on a daily basis, but things are still so different than in the states.
A few examples: During the 1990s under the reign of President Menem - people here refuse to say his name because it’s bad luck - pardons were issued for people involved with the mass torturing, disappearances and killings of the Dictadura during late 70s. In 2001 there was a mega economic crisis in Argentina. I believe it was also this year that they set a record for the most presidents in a week: five. Five presidents in one week. Now the President is Christina Kirchner, the wife of the previous president. Confused? Probably. I’ll wrap this up. I’m gonna go ahead and say it: Argentina under Christina reminds me an awful lot of what is happening in Venezuela right now. In December a new law will be enacted in which news and media will be restricted. One of the most basic rights for us in the US will just be gone in Argentina.
Sorry for my little rant, I could really go off about this for hours. All I really wanted to say is that I am suddenly so grateful for all the rights and freedoms we have in the states. Things which I’ve never seriously questioned or thought twice about. Things which I loathed learning about in the 8th grade. Things which are now... precious to me.

president menem = voldemort.
ReplyDeleteNICKI I WAS GOING TO WRITE THE EXACT SAME THING.
ReplyDeleteYes, that did deserve all caps because it was a freaky coincidence.
IT'S LIKE WE'RE SISTERS OR SOMETHING.
ReplyDeletealso, wendy said she doesn't get hp references.