Me gustan palabras.
Words are pleasing to me.
Tuesday was a good day. Here are some words to give you an idea of what topics I discussed: Che Guevara, Juan & Evita Peron, Richard Nixon, the Cold War, Vietnam, Woodstock and Alcatraz.
Confession: I’m a nerd.
Dinner was good too. We had bratwursts, they call them choripan but let’s be real, the Germans clearly beat Argentina to this sausage in a bun. I asked Marta about everything I had learned today, basically so she could tell me the same things and I would already know what she was going to say. It’s a trick I use so she thinks I understand her. Anywho, then I rocked her world by informing her that the US CIA are the ones who killed Che Guevara and that Alcatraz is no longer an active prison but rather a tourist island.
Don’t worry, the night only got better from here. I then busted out pictures I have of Monmouth - thanks Kate! - including Rick’s Coffee, The Scoop, Kate’s cell phone, country roads and uhh.. my bedroom. Needless to say, I think Marta might move in with us.
Naturally this lead to a discussion of Rick’s and of US coffee in general. Marta is officially the first person I’ve ever met who doesn’t know what Starbucks is. Gold star. I then had the honor of explaining “coffee” in the states. Frappuccinos, mochas, tall-grande-venti - to which she replied, “You wouldn’t sleep for a year after drinking that!” - and most revolutionary of all, iced coffee.
Although, I must admit, I’m rather dreading returning to the states and having to pay $5 for a cup of coffee again. Here you only have to scrounge up 5 pesos ($1.30) to get a coffee and two medialunas. Amazing.
Also, a disturbing fact: I think I live with a woman who enjoys Fruit Cake. She calls it Pan Dulce (sweet bread) but it sounds disturbingly similar to the infamous Fruit Cake: A tough, durable, strong bread with fruits which is only consumed during Christmas season.
Wow. Who knew I could write so much about history and coffee.

No comments:
Post a Comment