FELIZ DIA DE LAS MADRES!
This here is the one and only Marta Malla. Quite the character, eh?
Today is officially Mother’s Day in Argentina. I got mega points for buying Marta flowers - off the street at 11:50 PM last night. I enjoy that that was even an option for me. I then started the day off this morning by making her cry at breakfast. We were chatting about her neighbor who has some sort of mental illness, then she began talking about her deceased husband and well.. tears. I wish I had understood what she was saying better though, it's obviously important.
Either way, Mother's Day of course means family lunch. I’m getting more comfortable with everyone but it still so tiring and discouraging to realize how little I understand, and even worse how little I can speak. It’s really just a slap in the face when you get school’d by 4 year olds... During lunch though we had a picture taking session and looked at old photos which was fun. Then we ate my favorite Argentine postre before hitting up the park and feria across the street. All in all it was a good, relatively normal, Mother’s Day.
On another note, I cannot wait to get back to the states and force mate on all of you. This tea is a massive part of the culture down here. On Saturday after I got in some good family Skype time I went to the park to meet up with Lacey, Morgan and our Rosarino friends, Romina and Belen. We then all spent 3 hours sitting in the grass, sipping mate and eating snacks. It was the perfect spring day.

Your madre is so cute! And not at all what I expected. What a colorful lookin' lady. I'm pretty stoked for you to force mate on everyone, and I hope everyone includes me. I'm always down for hot beverages (I just assumed the tea was hot..).
ReplyDeleteI told you she was indescribable. Haha. Oh, Marta. You were right about mate being a warm drink. It'll be perfect for the winter time. And yes, we will most definitely have a communal cup at our place.
ReplyDelete